The days of using fine steel wool, oil, and elbow grease to remove rust from a firearm are over. Using electrolysis, you can easily remove moderate or even heavy rust from any ferrous object. So, if you want to try this method, you need to learn how to remove rust from a gun with electrolysis.
To use electrolysis to rust-proof metal, you will need a plastic tub, such as a utility tub, battery charger, washing soda, and distilled water. As long as you have the tools available, you can always find it easy to remove rust from your gun through this method.
Also, below are the step-by-step method to removing rust from guns using the electrolysis method. It does not have to be difficult as you might think. Just follow the steps, and you can always find it easy to do.
What Is Electrolysis?
Electrolysis is the process of passing an electric current through a substance to effect chemical changes. This chemical change will make the substance either lose or gain an electron (oxidation or reduction). Electrolysis is used extensively in removing rust from metals and other metallurgical activities like electroplating, purification, and extraction of metals.
There Are Three Essential Parts of a Gun Prone to Rust
- Action: Basically, all the gun mechanics take place here, from bullet loading to cartridge disposal. Rusting will dramatically impact performance of guns if this part is damaged.
- Stock: The gun part that the shooter holds and that dampens recoil. Depending on its type, there may be a metal, wood, or plastic stock on the weapon. Rusting will affect the aesthetics of the stock, but not the performance.
- Barrels are metallic tubes used to direct projectiles. Some are riffled, while others aren’t. Due to gunpowder and gas exhaust. When the piece is cleaned, the gun performs better and shoots more accurately.
Steps to Remove Rust from a Gun
Now you are ready to get that rusty gun back to life again. Here are the steps and procedures to get it done like a Pro.
Things you need:
- Fresh water.
- A plastic container which is larger than the gun.
- Washing soda (sodium carbonate).
- A car battery preferably 6-12 volts that can produce DC current.
- An electrode for steel or iron, preferably a rebar.
- Firstly, add enough water to the container or w tub and make sure the gun to be cleaned can be submerged under it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of washing soda per gallon of water and make sure it dissolves perfectly.
- Place the positive lead (red) from the cables connected to the battery to the rebar. Make sure you don’t submerge the clamps from the battery head so it doesn’t get eaten away during the procedure. If the gun you are cleaning is big, then I suggest you break them down into smaller parts for more effectiveness.
- Now place the negative lead from the battery to the item you want to cleanse and keep it submerged still. Make sure it doesn’t come in contact with the rebar because it could interrupt the effectiveness of the process.
- Once you’ve successfully carried out this procedure, you should see some bubbles of oxygen and hydrogen emanating from the electrodes. All you have to do now is to exercise patience because the procedure takes time.
The amount of time it will take to clean a gun with electrolysis depends on some factors like the size of the gun, the extent of the rust, and the amount of current used in the process. However, if the operation is left overnight, the desired result will be achieved. It’s very safe to leave the procedure overnight if there is enough ventilation or the operation is not taking place in an enclosed environment.
Safety Precautions while Removing Rust from a Gun Using Electrolysis
It is important to understand that electrolysis can be dangerous if you are not careful and you do not take the following safety measures:
- We recommend always wearing protective eyewear and gloves when working with rusted objects because the cleaning solution is alkaline and will irritate your skin and eyes. It is best to immediately rinse with fresh cold water the affected area if the solution does happen to get in your eyes or on your skin, and seek medical attention if necessary.
- The car battery or battery charger is used to generate electrical current. You can be shocked by both devices if you touch the electrodes while the current is running or put your hand in the solution. Avoid touching the charger or battery while it is running.
- Hydrogen and oxygen are formed during the electrolysis process. This is one of the side effects of the process. It is crucial that you work in an area that is well ventilated and eliminate any sources of ignition, such as flames. If you short out the battery leads, or smoke, then too much heat can be generated.
Electrolysis is one of the ways to remove rust from iron metals. There are other methods such as galvanising, electroplating and tinning. However, they don’t work on all types of objects. Ensure you keep safety in mind while removing rusts from the gun using this method.